Chocolate contains caffeine and a compound called theobromine, both of which can cause problems for your pet. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include vomiting and diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors/seizures, cardiac arrhythmias, and death in severe cases. The levels of these compounds is highest in dark chocolate, such as baking chocolate or bittersweet chocolate.
A ten pound dog can suffer problems after eating 4 ounces of milk chocolate, 1 1/2 ounces of dark chocolate, or just 1/2 ounce of baking chocolate. Please call us immediately if you find that your pet has eaten a dangerous amount of chocolate so that we can advise you of the next steps to take. It takes almost four days for the toxin to be cleared from your pet's system, so several days of hospitalization may be required in severe cases.